Upgrades improve a ship's combat, mining and movement capabilities and are purchased in order to help reach the next tier quicker or make one better at combat or mining. Once the minimum requirement for a upgrade has been reached, the upgrade bar will appear. Upgrades are lost upon upgrading to the next ship tier.
Each ship tier has a different upgrade cost:
- Tier 1: 5 crystals per upgrade, each upgrade can be purchased once.
- Tier 2: 10 crystals per upgrade, each upgrade can be purchased twice.
- Tier 3: 15 crystals per upgrade, each upgrade can be purchased three times.
- Tier 4: 20 crystals per upgrade, each upgrade can be purchased four times.
- Tier 5: 25 crystals per upgrade, each upgrade can be purchased five times.
- Tier 6: 30 crystals per upgrade, each upgrade can be purchased six times.
- Tier 7: Tier 7 ships do not have any upgrades.
List of upgrades[edit | edit source]
There are 8 different upgrades that are bought with crystals.
- Upgrade 1: Shield Capacity
- Upgrading this allows your ship to have a stronger shield.
- Upgrade 2: Shield Regeneration
- Upgrading this increases the rate at which your shield is restored.
- Upgrade 3: Energy Capacity
- Upgrading this allows your ship to store more energy used to fire the weapons. In some ships this is necessary for upgrading damage, as the main cannon needs more energy than can be stored.
- Upgrade 4: Energy Regeneration
- Upgrading this increases the rate at which energy generates.
- Upgrade 5: Laser Damage
- Upgrading this increases the amount of damage your cannons do.
- IMPORTANT Upgrading this also increases the cost to fire your lasers, so this does not increase total firepower.
- Upgrade 6: Weapon Speed
- Upgrading this increases the speed at which the pulses fired by your ship move.
- IMPORTANT Upgrading this will NOT increase the number of shots your ship can do in a short period of time, nor does it change the cost to fire the weapons. One exception, the Barracuda and any ship with the Barracuda's dash.
- Upgrade 7: Ship Speed
- Upgrading this increases the ship's maximum Speed. Moving faster increases possible crash damage.
- Upgrade 8: Ship Agility
- Upgrading this increases ships' turn and acceleration rates. It also increases deceleration, assuming you have RCS on.
Tips:[edit | edit source]
- Upgrading stats in a certain order can achieve different purposes. A common example is upgrading energy regen and shield regen before everything else so that one can mine asteroids more quickly.
- Leaving stats without upgrades is also a viable strategy in some scenarios, such as not upgrading laser speed while piloting a Furystar if you believe the shots are fast enough already, or agility if you feel it is already agile enough.
- If you are interested in only getting to the next tier, then it is best to ignore some upgrades such as weapon speed or energy/shield capacity, which do not help much with mining.
- Usually, all stats being maxed is the way to go, but it is always interesting to see what changes you can make to upgrade a ship better. Although upgrading the damage of your shots will pretty much nerf your ammo regen.
- Upgrading a ship differs from mode to mode, in team mode an upgrade might be very helpful but if you use the same upgrade in Invasion you would fail hard! For example, you would upgrade energy regen first for A-Speedster in Team Mode where as in Invasion you would upgrade speed first, so thinking about upgrades is very important.